Chronograph - Part 6

Working on this project has really got me thinking and now I have my air rifle I needed to get something finished and usable ASAP before I started to tune the rifle, I don't want to go over the legal limit.

Whilst thinking about the total cost of the parts to make a usable chronograph, the one most people buy is £50, I had the idea of removing the LCD and just using the serial link to the PC.

So I thought about strapping an Arduino Nano to an aluminium tube with a 1/2" UNF thread so that it would fit on the standard silencer adapter, this would make it very stable.
I decided to use the Nano because there wouldn't be the need for a battery to power it, the USB lead would carry power and data back to the PC, people would also be able to programme them without having to buy the serial/USB interface.

Marking out the sensor distance
Tube screwed into the silencer adapter for my rifle
Fully assembled prototype with a foam spacer
Finished part attached to the Air Rifle
I used some thin but very tough heat shrink sleeving the same as that used to hold battery packs together on remote control cars



Below is a screen grab of the PC software (Ignore the FPS value, I'd forgot to change the calculation to 60mm spacing instead of 100mm)
Now for some more testing.


Comments

ITBox said…
Nice work.
This program did you do it yourself?
Do you have link to the program and sketh for arduino?
Gadjet said…
ITBox,
Thanks.
Yes.
You can find a sketch here http://gadjetsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/chronograph-update.html

Popular Posts

Chronograph update

DIY Chrono Shopping list

Chronograph completed - Finally